"But wait—I'm still looking for a WordPress theme"
We love WordPress, and we're still continuing to use it to build our other businesses.
What we use now instead of a regular theme
We've since started using a page builder with a bare-bones theme. Then we just add our own images and CSS to dress it up a bit.
- Beaver Builder
- Page builders have allowed us to make edits to our pages, and make attractive layouts without needing a programmer. After much research, we decided on Beaver Builder and use it on Foxhound Studio, Bony to Beastly, Bony to Bombshell, and Outlive. We love it that much.
- Astra Theme Pro—$59
- We've used the Beaver Themer as the theme with Beaver Builder—and it's good. However, Astra Theme Pro is incredibly lightweight and fast. The Beaver Builder theme has some visual advantages over Astra, but we've found it is worth the tradeoff for the speed increase (especially since we're fine with writing CSS.)
We know that not everyone will be able to edit the themes to look the way they want. In that case, we're still big fans of premium theme creator Organic Themes.
- Yoast SEO—free
- Yoast is the household SEO name for WordPress. It's free, gets the job done well, and it gets installed on every site we touch.
- WordFence is a free firewall and malware scanner for your WordPress. It's simple to set up and worth the time it takes for the extra security.
- Smush optimizes the images you upload to WordPress by compressing them and stripping them of data that it doesn't need. It helps to speed up the loading on your website, which is a part of having good SEO.
- Thrive Leads
- I find the Thrive products are often clunky, glitchy, and bloated (which is why we don't use their page builder) but they've still managed to put together some of the best functioning conversion oriented products. We like their thrive leads option for building opt-in forms to help people stay in touch with us.
- WP Rocket
- This is the best caching plugin out there at the moment. It's really easy to use and makes your website load incredibly fast. I like the branding, too.